Arriving in Gainesville!

>> Tuesday, July 21, 2009

So I made it to Florida without going into labor...wahoo! Not that I was supposed to, but it's Murphey's Law that since I needed to get safely to Florida before going into labor, something would try to go wrong! But, nope. So, it was great! My flights were safe and uneventful, although flying first class from Phoenix to Charlotte was ammazinggg, having leg (and booty) space was really awesome with my awkward stomach. Thank you Aunt Kate!!!! She took care of Jordan and my travel needs, and what a burden that lifted. Thank you thank you!! :)
The Ronald McDonald House

So here's my new home for the next long while. The welcome to the Ronald McDonald House(RMDH) was awesome and overwhelming. The people were so kind to me, showed me around, and let me get settled in. And, MIRACLES of miracles, there's wireless internet in the house, so I can blog in my room, and just be connected to the world! Hooray!

Gainesville, FL, is like a jungle! I know that I am a serious desert girl, but this is amazing. The weather is actually pretty nice I think. It's kind of humid, but in the mid 80's and very bearable! This is the view looking out from the front door I just showed you. There's just one thing about the front of the house that I really don't think I want to see everyday...a little creepy......

AHHHHH!! Does he not scare anyone else!? What's he thinking..."Hey kids! Come into my house!" ...No thanks Ronald...I digress.

Tonight when I arrived, there was a church small group volunteering at the house. They brought a huge dinner for everyone, potluck style! Yum! The house manager told me that most nights a group brings in dinner. That is so kind, because every single family staying here is hurting, scared, tired, hungry, or stressed, no exceptions. So, many thanks to West Side Baptist Church, you were a blessing to many tonight!

There was seriously so much: chicken salad sandwiches, honey baked ham, twice baked potatoes, meatloaf, strawberry & spinach salad, sloppy joes, all kinds of stuff!

You can kinda see in the bottom right, the table? There's five tables that seat five, and there's two kitchens like this. I sat with the lady and her daughter in the blue shorts there. The little girl has a brain tumor, that has been shrinking after chemo-wow. It blew me away that every person I meet here has a child in need...it's not all about me ya know. The dinner was a nice chance for me to make some friends and get a "feel" for the house's community. Some people definitely kept to themselves, but who knows what they faced today. The best part about dinner was....

Chocolate treats galore, baby!! :)

Yum, Yum! I can't complain about that at all! These people were so kind. Well, anyways, here's a picture of my room for now. The house manager said that she's moving me into a big room maybe at the end of the week, so that when Jordan comes we will have more room. But, for now, it's more than enough for me! Frankly if we stayed here I would still be happy as a clam at $10/day...I'm so grateful.

Sorry Jordan, I know all my pictures are a bit dismal, but they are all taken with my Blackberry camera! :) Either way, you get the feel for it. Directly to my left is the bathroom, to the right is the closet, and then a nice space straight ahead. If you just imagine me sitting in front of the computer there on the bed, that's exactly where I am right now writing to ya'll! :) One last thing I'll share tonight about my welcome wagon...the housekeeper who preps all the rooms for new people left two turtles on my beds, made by her, with little notes hiding inside. It was a small thing that really encouraged me. If you can see, the fabric says "God Cares", and the notes say "God is Powerful" and "Fear Not". Thanks, housekeeper, for the love! (Clearly a lot of names were thrown at me today...I'll actually absorb them over time I hope!) Here they are:

So anyways, it's been a great night. Got acquainted with the staff, settled into my room, had a great dinner, and lastly, one of the front desk volunteers, Pauley, took me to the grocery store! She is 83, and still rockin'. She didn't have to do that, but offered without me asking...again what kindness. So now I have food to eat probably for a week and a half, and then Jordan will be here with a car soon anyways. Thanks Pauley girl, you are wonderful.

So that's about it for tonight...I'll probably become the world's greatest blogger now, out of boredom, for the next three weeks at least until Max is here! I miss everyone already, especially my husband. Until next time, God Bless everyone!


Claire Griffin

Blogger Extrodinaire and Ronald McDonald-Phobe

4 comments:

Aunt Beth July 21, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

Hi Claire!
Loved your blog-- thanks for giving us a taste of life there. Isn't technology wonderful?

Yes! That Ronald McDonald is one scary clown!!!

Love you, love you,
Aunt Beth

Maxton's Mommy July 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM  

I think Ronald looks like he is about to put his hand on his head and his other hand on his lower leg and do that weird little dance... know which one I am talking about? I busted out looking at the picture because that mental image came into play... Anyways, sorry for the tangent. Many prayers for you guys!! So glad to hear you made it there safe! the countdown is on :-)

Ash

Marion July 22, 2009 at 5:44 AM  

I am glad that you made it safe to Florida. I made the trek from Atlanta to San Francisco at 36 weeks pregnant. I know the feeling of relief when you land. Take care of your self over the nest few weeks. I am thinking about you! Many prayers.

Nora July 22, 2009 at 6:42 AM  

Hi Claire, we miss you! This is a great way to have a journal for yourself and your family!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP