Doctor's Appointment Update

>> Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Hi all! You must be thinkin, "wow! Claire is so great at posting!" Well, my hours are really full with sleeping, sitting, thinking, reading, and people watching, so it's the least I can do. Actually, there are a couple bloggable things today! :) First was my doctor's appointment...

I had an ultrasound done by Dr. Richards, who is the OB in charge of delivering Max, sort of the other half of the dream team working on Max (the first part being Dr. Kays, the surgeon). As he looked Max over, everything was the same. So, not good, but the same. I don't mean that in a negative way, but we are just holding steady I guess. He also confirmed that the heart being underdeveloped is pretty typical in this case, so it's not something to panic about. It comes with the territory he said, so Max should still recover fine in spite of it.


One interesting thing Dr. Richards discovered while looking was the shape of Max's diaphragm. It's not a "straight across" diaphragm like it should be, perhaps with just a gap/hole in it. From one side to the other, it slopes downwards before it attaches to the other side. He said that he has never seen this before, but doesn't really know why it may pose a threat, unless it was hiding a larger defect. So, just a "weird" thing I guess. Jordan said it's because God gave him extra room for his heart and lungs, I say why not! So, I drew some very detailed, quality pictures to help illustrate what I'm describing. Please hold back the accolades and flattery after you see my handiwork.
Here's a normal baby, with the heart and lungs above the diaphragm, with all the extras below. Now, here is my troublemaker...


As you can clearly see in this detailed drawing, complete with big muscles, there is a hernia/hole/gap in Max's diaphragm which allowed all his organs into his chest, pushing his heart far over to the right (and not much below the diaphragm). If you look, you can see how the diaphragm drops down on the one side. This is the anomaly that Dr. Richards described. Who knows, but I guess we shall see in a few weeks.

One last thing...I'm sure you remember my post last night including commentary about Ronald McDonald himself, and my discomfort for the clown? WELL, when I cam home from my doctor's appointment, guess who came to visit all the kids?


I know, I know! I tried to signal to people to run, but they seemed so enamored by him, he must have cast some fast food spell on them. Actually, there was a Christmas in July party for all the kids, and Ronald and Santa came to visit all the kids with presents, etc. The kids were ecstatic, so I'll let it slide this time.
...But don't try to convince me that he doesn't look a bit...suspect.

Love ya'll!
Claire

8 comments:

Kim Dodridge July 22, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

You are so much fun! I love to read your posts. Keep your strong faith. Sometimes I wonder how people get through a normal day without God, but can you imagine someone trying to get through tough times like this without Him? It's amazing how much strength He can give us. Rob and I just rented the movie Fireproof. A little cheesy, but one of the songs that was in the movie was "While I'm Waiting". Here are some of the lyrics, "I will move ahead, bold and confident, taking every step in obedience. While I'm waiting, I will serve You. While I'm waiting, I will worship You. While I'm waiting, I will not faint. I'll be running the race even while I wait". They really spoke to me and I thought they may speak to you as well. I can't wait to read your next post. Your drawings are beautiful! Yes, your little Max is a trouble maker but he will never question the love his Momma has for him. Stay strong! Love you!!

Tiffany July 22, 2009 at 3:55 PM  

First...I am in complete awe of your indescribably amazing artistic ability! ;) But really, I love the Max drawing :)

Praying for Max...and your quick recovery of your fear of the ever present freaky clown.

Terri July 22, 2009 at 4:16 PM  

Hey Claire! Glad you are safe and sound in Gainesville. It's interesting that you are creeped out by the clown, Sarah has the same problem. Maybe a shared cousin experience? I loved the artwork! We are praying for you, Jordan and baby Max. Love you, Aunt Terri

Stephanie July 22, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

Claire,

I LOVE the pictures. I especially love Max's strong muscles that are going to pull him through this birth defect. Praying for you and your family!

Love,
Stephanie
Kamryn's mommy

Jennifer July 22, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

So glad to hear that you made it safely to Florida! I'm sorry to hear that things are not looking the best for Max, but as your picture shows he is a fighter and will come through with shinning colors! I'm continuing to send my thoughts and prayers your way and hoping for the best possible outcome. Sending love from Arizona! :)

Unknown July 22, 2009 at 6:33 PM  

Um...Excuse me Terri Lee, I think I should be the one to expose my phobias! Claire you're definitely right. Ronald is totally suspect despite the help he brings to those in need. James and I are praying for you, Jordan, and Max. Love you!

Unknown July 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM  

So, since your picture of Max shows him full of gas, does this mean he will be like Jordan and fart all the time? LOL!! Miss you already. Keep blogging, you are funny to read and the specially drawn pics are the bomb!
Tell Max Auntie Dawn loves him :)

Anonymous July 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM  

Love your sketches... ~dai

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP