My Kid's the Smelly Kid in Class??

>> Friday, September 4, 2009

Hee hee! Okay first of all, another CDH blog had posted about their baby being "smelly" before his first bath, and if you've seen "Big Daddy", it's a good laugh and a fairly accurate mental picture!

Max had a bath after two weeks of life, and just in time because he was put on ECMO that night! Then, since ECMO is a pretty big procedure, and they can't move him much, the next two weeks produced a greasy, goopy haired little guy. Poor kid! His little legs still smell like new baby though...they haven't been through much. So, not that it really matters, but I can't wait for extubation day because a side benefit of that is A BATH! :) Stinky pants is aptly named, but who cares when you're this cute?
We seemed to miss all of Max's awake time so far today! We came by this morning for a few hours, sleeping! Then again around 4 for a few hours, sleeping! So we are going to go again for goodnight kisses, and he's usually fairly alert at night! The nurse said that he was awake all afternoon, darn. This is the side he is comfy on, because his little neck is so tight. She (the nurse) had him stretching for a bit on the opposite side, and said that he was not at all happy during that time. So, he's pretty content in this picture from soon after that. We got a little peek when we talked to him, but lately, if he's content we don't rock the boat! He's looking so much better too, huh! No more Michelin baby!

Dr. Dickie came by this afternoon (as always), and said that Dr. Kays was again very happy this morning with Max's progress. They lowered his Oxygen to 34%, and breaths/minute to 30. Extubation is a go at 30% and 10breaths/min, so we are about two days away, if Max's blood gasses continue to improve every time. He is doing SO well now...I'm almost scared to say it. He is also off ALL of his medications, so it's just Max and the vent now.

Anywho, that's really it for Mr. Max the Miracle Man Mighty Pants. He's taking it very easy, just resting and sleeping. No more speed bumps and two week detours, Lord, puhhlleeaassee??!

I have been texting with my family, so they know, but Jordan and I are officially SICKKK of being away. We are so grateful to be here, but I just want to crawl into my own huge bed without Jordan's booty in my back, or me driving him nuts with who-knows-what (I'm sure there's plenty!). We miss everyone at home, thank you for thinking of us! We have gotten so many fun treats! A baby shower in a box from church pals, several boxes of evil treats from Aunt Terri and Uncle Tony, snacks from Great Grandma/pa, cookies from clients and Patti (yuuum!!) , Edible Arrangements from the Brinton faculty of my mom's school, and more! If I didn't write it I'm sorry, I'm just going quickly! Thank you so much everyone for loving on us, it truly brightens our time here and encourages us.

OH OH!! And, it's always sad to see a good laugh laid to rest, but I'm afraid I can't mourn this change...
Eek! Isn't he handsome! There's my Jordan, sleepy and clean cut. What a relief, to be able to walk side by side again, not having to duck out of elevators ahead or losing him behind those doors so we aren't "together"...and having people's stares linger just a little to long on his face! Haha who knows what they were thinking, although I think a hefty group of locals from Waldo, FL thought it was perdy nice. And, hey, we DID get a lot more personal space in halls and elevators when Jordan had that..."style"(?)...I can't imagine why. He loves me...and I bribed him. Okay.

Max doing amazing, the stache, and thank you's...got it!
Love ya!
Claire

PS, please say a prayer for some friends of ours from NI3, they had a Max in the bed right next to ours for weeks and we got to know them a bit...they had "little Max" and we had "big Max" because he was so early. They lost little Max this week, and my heart just breaks for them. This is a really hard part of being here; not all the kids get to go home. (Our homes at least) Thanks...

7 comments:

aunt beth September 4, 2009 at 4:32 PM  

YAY! Max, the tube, and no medicine! Praying for you all.

Glad you shaved off the mustache, Jordan-- you look like you again!

Helen September 4, 2009 at 5:54 PM  

GREAT NEWS ABOUT MAX!!!!! I am undecided about Jordan. I don't think the stache looked that bad. But then my "ex" had one for years. I can't wait for the next post to hear how the weening is going. Hopefully that yucky old tube will be gone bye-bye very soon, and we can really ooooo! and ahhhhhh! over Mr. Max.
Still remembering you daily in my "talks" with the big guy upstairs. :-)

Laura Jean September 4, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

What a blessing that you get to journal all your triumphs and trials. Max is absolutely adorable and I can totally tell how much he is improving. You will continue to be in my prayers. I thank God that he led you to Jordan and that you have such a great partner to journey with.
Love,
Laura Jean

Thorn-67 September 4, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

love the blog...love the news...so inspired by you, Jordan and Max...
Looking forward to seeing you all when you finally get to come home...

M. North September 4, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

Oh, just you wait until Maxie -man is a big ol' teenage boy. Stinky, sweaty, gross, and you'll love every minute. Thrilled to see Max looking so content and calm. Off the meds. - that's a 10 yeard run. Go Max Go.
Thanks for sharing,
Melissa

Helen September 5, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

Ran across the "PERFECT" Halloween story to read to Mr. Max. I know it is a little early, but, it is called Happy Halloween, Stinky Face by Lisa McCourt. After the title of this chapter, I couldn't help but pass this along to you.
:-) Looking forward to the next chapter.

Moore Family September 6, 2009 at 1:40 PM  

Just wanted to say glad your still enjoying/overjoyed being new parents despite the stress of Maximus' condition. Happy to hear he is back on track and am hoping he recovers quickly now and you guys can get home asap.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP