No words...

>> Monday, September 7, 2009

Ahhhhhh sweeeet relief...we are over the hump people.
This. Feeling. Is. HEAVEN. I think I waffled between smiles and tears over this! Max only spent 24 hours on C-PAP! This morning we came in to Max on the regular cannulas in his nose. He now has no breathing assistance at all, just a little oxygen supplement. When we got in, I obnoxiously asked all the wrong people if we could hold him until our nurse was freed up and I jumped on her for it. She graciously took the time to get us all set up, because there were so many things attached to him still, you have to be careful! Jordan got first dibs (hehe) because the poor guy didn't really get more than five difficult minutes before Max crashed almost three weeks ago. We both held him for a couple hours almost! Why in the world would we OFFER to put him down anyways?!? Max loved cuddling with us, he just watched Jordan, and slept on my for most of it. He seemed really happy! Here's Dad below with his new best friend. Jordan kept saying today, "I'm so in love...ah I've so in love with him". I guess it's true what they say about dads truly bonding once they hold the baby?
Max also had his UAC taken out of his belly button today also, which was where they drew blood for gasses, and any other needs as far as getting things in and out of him! They have a PIC line still in his foot, and that will stay for a while. That way they can administer any medications necessary. (Not gonna need it! ;)

Lil Man moved over to some new digs today, and they were going to put him in a crib- but there were none available, so maybe tomorrow. They had to make room for another more serious patient...we are assuming it's the new CDH mom in the RMHouse because she's delivering tomorrow. Jordan put up that sheet to block a draft...they built their first fort together! :)
Don't worry Max, your planes are still flying! He watches those planes like a hawk. So cute!
One last thing...for all my loving friends. Although it is so kind and flattering, I have to throw in the towel and admit...THIS KID LOOKS NOTHING LIKE ME. haha! He is allllll Griffin. I bragged for a bit that he had big lips like me. However, Jordan also has a big mouth (hehe), and this baby's lips look much more like his did than mine at infancy. This picture above settles it! For the Griffin family that will "get it", look at that skull! That is Dave and Jordan all the way...the sloped forehead, the ridge above the brow, geez! And, I'm fairly certain Max will be a giant, and outgrow dad. Look at those hands. Buddy here is NOT going to be small...he has huge feet too. All the nurses comment on his honkin' feet every shift, haha! (But he's so pretty so who cares.)

Next hurdle is feeding. Nurses say it can take two weeks or two months...PRAY FOR THE FIRST ONE! No reflux, no nothing, amen! :)

Love ya!
Claire


ps Jordan will post more pics tomorrow of all of todays fun...but I'm tired! :)

18 comments:

Jillian September 7, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

i am absolutely in love. i love every little thing about every little piece of that baby. i love pictures of his big feet. i love love love love love him. and i love you and jor just as much. :] miss you guys. <3 aunt countess. ;P

Devin September 7, 2009 at 8:31 PM  

Claire, just look back at our pictures of Taylor, she started as my twin but now there is more of Courtney in her every day!

Anonymous September 7, 2009 at 9:10 PM  

Wow-what fabulous news! I couldn't be happier for you and that sweet little baby! I'll be sure to tell your Mom, Claire, that she's provided some tough genes...even if he does have a lot of Griffin in him!

Best of luck to you all and swagga, swagga Max!

Cindy Berenter
(from Brinton)

Anonymous September 8, 2009 at 2:48 AM  

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Congratulations! He is sooooooooo cute! And those hands are huge! So happy to see little Max back on the right path towards home...time for these babies to kick CDH booty, sooooo glad for you and your family that little Max is getting it done! Will continue to pray from afar and follow his story...God Bless!

Timothy and Jenny September 8, 2009 at 6:13 AM  

Way to go Max, you are such a miracle and a trooper look at you go. That is so great that he is on regular cannulas! Feeding is a difficuly but everything you all have already been through. We were in the hospital for another month trying to get Weston to eat, he went home on an NG tube and finally got him off of that year and month later. Max will do great. God bless.

Jenny (Weston's Mommy CDH survivor - 7-9-08)
http://westonsjounery.blogspot.com/

Jennifer Tenney September 8, 2009 at 6:46 AM  

Yay! I love that I can begin every comment now with Yay! I am very happy for you guys! I know we have never met, but your story touched my heart and put me right back in the Shands NICU with you. In fact, if I am looking at the picture right, I think I was in the exact same place, in the exact same chair when I first held Dakota. I remember my butt fell asleep and my arm almost fell off but I would not give her up for anything! Once you guys start the feeding orally thing (you will probably be in NICU II) look immediately for Elaine. She is the occupational therapist and we wasted over a week before finding her! She is amazing! There are also some great nurses who can really help with feeding. We especially liked Mary and Tony is also in NICU II and he helps a lot too (as you already know). It took us a month to get Dakota to eat enough to go home-but we got to go home without a tube so it was worth it! I will pray that Max does it in less than half that time! Boys seem to like to eat more from my experience!
Love,
Jennifer
Mom to Dakota 12-25-2008 RCDH
Dr. Kays/Shands alumnae

The Roberts Family September 8, 2009 at 9:10 AM  

wow im so happy for you guys!! he is looking way too cute!! its so sweet to see you guys holding him and we can see the love in your eyes!!! love you guys and congrats!!!! :)

Aunt Beth September 8, 2009 at 10:18 AM  

awwww.... words cannot express... love speaks with the heart. Praising God for His faithfulness throughout this difficult time! You look (and sound) so happy, and it's infectious!

Anonymous September 8, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

I know exactly what you mean by being in-love w/ your child. I am still in-love w/ my 2.5 y/o daughter and my 10 mos boy. I am super excited for both of you. Max is one good looking fella.

Can't wait to see more pictures.
Dai

martha September 8, 2009 at 2:48 PM  

So happy for ya'll!!! What a happy little Max, now that his mama and daddy can cuddle him!! We're still praying for no more hurdles.....

Jace September 8, 2009 at 5:30 PM  

Oh I have to say I am sitting here like a ballbaby as I see you both holding Max, Wow so wonderful to see you both being able to hold him! I am so full of JOY :)
I pray for him everytime I read these blogs. Thanks again so much for keeping all of us informed.
Jacqueline

Kathryn Olmstead September 8, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

so exciting! It's so nice to see a free face! the face that you have been so anxious to see- :) I love it!! Keep up the good work Max!!

Helen September 8, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

Claire and Jordan and Mr. Max,
As happy as I with this news, I gotta tell you, my supply of Puffs Plus is running very low. I am afraid that if I keep reading about all these wonderful things, it is going to be a quick trip to the local Wally-World for more Aloe Vera Lotion Puffs Plus for me. Everytime I log on, I just automatically move the box of AVLPP (see above) closer to the computer. But, I really couldn't be happier (sniff-sniff)Really!!!!;-)

Ann Mortenson September 8, 2009 at 7:38 PM  

AWESOME!!!!
Claire....now that you can hold that adorable (total understatement) Max you can do the Kangaroo Care thing (have you heard about it?). It seems a bit awkward at first but it gets that milk factory going like nothing else (just my experience)!

Nicky September 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM  

we were in san diego for the weekend and i missed all this exciting news!!! ahhhhhh!! first CPAP and now this? AMAZING!! he looks absolutely adorable and we all can't wait to meet him when you guys get home!

Your Gospel-Loving Friend September 9, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

That is soo awesome! What a special day!

Prairiemamma September 9, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

Jordan and Claire,

I have been following Max's progress since Dana Zazick sent a prayer request for you. I am sooooo excited for you! I'm getting tears in my eyes reading your latest posts. I pray at least every day. Every time I think of you, which is often. I will keep praying and I hope you get to go home soon.

God Bless,
Dawn Phillips

Unknown September 14, 2009 at 10:55 AM  

Hey.. i missed this one! Not sure how that happened, guess I've been slacking off. Glad things are still going well. Praying for progress with the feeds. Hope to see you wednesday. :)

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP