Adventures in Gainesville! (Blog catch up Part Deux)

>> Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Ok! Part Deux!
First up is Blue Springs, FL! Martha and Annie took me along on their family outing to this fresh water natural spring; it's at a constant temperature of 72 degrees and GORGEOUS! There's a little beachy outlet off of the web of streams, and right under the diving dock you can see the boil from which the water comes. (the dark blue bit with a bright blue ring around) We set up chairs in the water, played with Martha's grandkids, had lunch, and just relaxed. It was really one of my best days here yet.
Below is Martha's daughter Annie and I, working hard monitoring the activities...keeping our feet in that cool water under the sunshine was pretty tough!

Here's a few of the kiddos next...I think there was about 8 grandkids there total! Really nice kids! Please pay no attention to the sea monster approaching from the left! :) I am a friendly leviathan, haha!
A couple of University of Florida research students had been out collecting tagged turtles for some kind of study, and took the time to show the kids and teach them a bit about them. They were pretty darn large, and he let the kids "pet" them for a bit. It was pretty cool for me to see them too! I am sort of amazed by the wildlife that is natural to see here, not phasing anybody but me! Again...sea creature in the background...pay no mind.
Pictured below, is an up close, real life shot of the sea monster! Although, the title monster doesn't seem fair..."it" looks to be quite content in the cool waters of the spring, enjoying some candy it likely procured from one of the unsuspecting children nearby. ;)
Juuuust kidding. Blue Springs was amazing, I loved every minute of it! I'd like to take Jordan there before Max arrives.

Another evening last week, my mom's high school friend Jenice met up with me for dinner with her daughters! They reconnected via Facebook, and Mom will be staying with her when she comes for Max's birthday. So, Jenice wanted to hook up and meet; we went to Carraba's for some awesome Italian food! Afterwards, she took me over to Lake Alice on the college campus, to see some breathtaking views and spot some GATORS!!!
This gorgeous chapel is right on the water of Lake Alice. It probably only seats 100, but through these front doors, the whole opposite wall is windows looking over the lake. It is SO beautiful! If I lived here, I'd have my wedding at this chapel, and just do it in two or three repeat ceremonies so everyone could attend!
We walked around the way, and if you look across the water, you can see the back of the chapel again. So, this is what the back windows look over. Amazing, huh?!

Next, we got to see alligators that are WILD here in the lake.
Perhaps I'm just a total Arizona desert girl, but is it weird to ANYone else that this approximately five foot long gator is no big deal to the Floridians standing by? I'm talking, no college kid in a gator suit just swimming around in the lake for fun!!! I mean, people were just crowded around, with kids, clicking pics etc. I am NOT as close as I look, my zoom is pretty good! I was probably 20 feet away for the moment I took this, and them was quickly away! :) However, it was pretty cool and creepy at the same time to see one in it's natural habitat.
Another little one, swimming across the water! Eek! Run Captain Hook!!
A beautiful place! Lake Alice is amazing! Thank you Jenice for taking me here! It was another reason for me to get out of the house before Jordan arrived.

Well, that's it for Part Deux! Two AWESOME excursions, courtesy of some AWESOME, loving people.

~Claire

6 comments:

Unknown August 5, 2009 at 6:54 AM  

I'm so glad you came to the spring with us! Hope you get to go back this week with Jordan, maybe it will be a little more peaceful without the 10,000 extra kids there. And no, you do not look like a sea monster!

meme August 5, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

So glad you were able to join us and so many of my family at Blue Springs!! It's so refreshing to experience Florida sites through the eye of a 'non native'! :) Take care of each other....martha....Jordan...I'm looking forward to meeting you!! :)

Charles Rinehart October 7, 2009 at 9:25 AM  

A great blog here. Your photo's are excellent. I hope to make it to this area soon. All the best.

Anonymous December 10, 2009 at 9:00 AM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous December 11, 2009 at 5:27 AM  

What necessary phrase... super, a brilliant idea

Anonymous December 22, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

[url=http://vonmertoes.net/][img]http://bariossetos.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
[b]kaspersky 7 key, [url=http://vonmertoes.net/]windows vista home basic question[/url]
[url=http://hopresovees.net/][/url] nero burning software cheap software online
cheap office 2003 [url=http://bariossetos.net/]sell second hand software[/url] free acdsee 7.0 downlod
[url=http://hopresovees.net/]11 Mac StuffIt[/url] download adobe photoshop cs3
[url=http://bariossetos.net/]nero 9 key hack[/url] buy windows xp
is it legal to buy oem software [url=http://hopresovees.net/]educational software site[/b]

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP