Just a quickie!

>> Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hello there! I wasn't going to blog tonight, but I thought I'd just quickly send out the update.

We filled you in on the great, amazing news that Dr. Kays has started Max on a weaning plan to get him off of his ventilator and oxygen. He had cut his vent and O2 down quite a bit, and we were waiting to get a blood gas report to see how his little body took the change. (Blood gas reports the amount of O2 Max is taking in, and how much Co2 he is retaining...which we dont want much) So the next day, which was this morning, we called the nurse for the stats. She had an average to poor report, that his Co2 had jumped a little high, but his oxygen was okay. A bit low, but okay. However, they didn't raise anything back up so that they could give him a chance to ride it out and improve. Eight hours later, Max was due for another "gas", and he had drastically improved! ;) YAY MAX!!!

Basically, the original vent changes were sort of aggressive, so his body kind of panicked a little, and had a hard time processing the Co2 coming in since he was recieving less assistance from the machines. He pushed through it on his own though, and throughout that 8 hours got adjusted to that level on his own. That is exactly the process, and he got an A+++. Gooo Max!

So, a funny thing. After Max demonstrated this good behavior, we were sitting in the NICU admiring him as usual when Dr. Kays came by again. He's pretty quiet and dry, so I asked "How are you?" and he said "Max is good, so I'm good" and turned his vent and O2 down MORE. Then he just started walking away like it was no big deal and I said, "this is a good thing then?" and he just looked back and said "yep." and kept walking. Funny surgeons. Anyways the point is, he had been "turned down" a second time in two days, and this time he took it easily in stride. A tinnny raise in Co2, and an increase in oxygen. That just shows he can handle this weaning process. Amen Jesus!!! WOOO!

The end point is, is Mr. Max keeps this up, he will be VENT FREE by Friday or Saturday. I will get to see my baby boy's mouth for the first time. So far it's been just a part of a lower lip. You have no idea how little things like that make my heart explode...such as opening his eyes and looking at me. Speaking of that. He was really alert this afternoon, and I was laying my head on the bed next to his looking at him, and he locked eyes with me for a good minute. My heart just soared...it was one of those moments where I knew he knew it was Mommy. Ahh I die. Those moments in NICU are so very important for me. (and him i think)

So, medical stuff is AWESOME still.....just wanted to update you since things will be pretty active and quick moving over the next few days.

Gigi (Grandma Griffin), Max's Great Grandma came to meet Max today. She sang to him and prayed a blessing over him with me. It was really special to have her there. :) And of course G-ma and Papa had another day today with Max, but they said their goodbyes today to fly home tomorrow morning. We were so lucky to have them for a time!

We will be in touch! :) Sorry no pics, I just wanted to be quick.
Love,
Claire

11 comments:

Misty August 19, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

He's an amazing boy! I can't wait to see his whole face...lots of pics please. I also can't wait to see pics of you actually HOLDING him! Keep up the awesome work Max, you have a huge cheerleading section rooting for you.

Brian Kruckenberg August 19, 2009 at 9:02 PM  

Claire - thanks for the update. We are all thrilled that Max has done so well! Praise God. A lot of people have been praying for you, Jordan and Max here in PHX. Hope to talk to you soon.

Lydia Henry August 19, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

Can't wait for you to bring your family home! Claire we pray for you and Jordan too. Love your updates

The Arizona Ray's August 19, 2009 at 9:16 PM  

Sooo exciting!!! i can't wait to see those lips I know they will be fabulous like mom's!!! Lot's of prayers!!!

Anonymous August 19, 2009 at 10:12 PM  

YAY Max! Keep up the great work. We are constantly thinking of you and praying for you little guy... Hope to see your little lips soon.

Dai

Mary Jane August 19, 2009 at 10:21 PM  

Great news Jordan and Claire you guys are awesome little parents. Loving each little step as Max just shows us how awesome God is, and the talent he puts in the Doctors caring for him. Thanks for each update.

Craftysis7 August 20, 2009 at 9:28 AM  

I have been following your blog since before your little Max was born and this is the first time I have made a post. I am so happy for you that he is doing so well!! Praise God for he is good!!
I love your upbeat attitude you always have and the strong faith that you have. Your little Max is adorable. May God continue to bless your family!

Sissy

Anonymous August 20, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

GO MAX! We love reading posts like this!!! Your family is always in our prayers!

martha August 20, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

Praise God!! So excited to log in and find an update from you!!! I wish I could give you a BIG hug, in person....but, just consider yourself 'hugged'...or better yet, go get one from Annie!! :) Can't wait to see that first pix of you and Jordan HOLDING Max!!! I'm already imagining how beautiful it will be!!!

Chanda August 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM  

While my hubby and son are taking a dinner break before we visit Ireland, I needed to check on Maximus. I'm so glad to see that he's doing well!!! ....continuing to send prayers to you guys!!!

Jennifer Tenney August 21, 2009 at 7:13 AM  

Yay Max!!!! I am so excited he is doing so well! I laughed at your story of Dr. Kays turning down the vent and then just walking away ... that is so Dr. Kays!!!! Was it Nurse Sally that gave Max the A+++? That sounds like her! She was like a comforting mother to me when Dakota was in the NICU!
I am praying for continuing good progress!!!!
Jennifer
Mom to Dakota RCDH 12-25-2008
Shands/Dr. Kays alumnae

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP