Mischievous Max!

>> Sunday, August 23, 2009

I am so excited!

Yesterday Max's numbers were doing better, inch by inch, in spite of his being irritable! (Usually if they are worked up, it shows in the Co2) A few minutes ago I called to check up on him while I got ready to go down to see him, and his Co2 is all the way down to 48!! wow!! That's really, really great in laymen's terms. Also his oxygen is at 108 and that's awesome as well! This is a really positive thing because it should hopefully keep him on track for extubation tomorrow. HOORAY!!

Now, yesterday I wrote about how little stinker has been fairly irritable since all of his sedatives and pain killers have been gone, pulling on tubes and crying, etc. Well, when I left in the afternoon yesterday he was sock-handed like you saw in the picture. When Jordan and I went back to say goodnight after he got back from dinner, this is what we walked in to see:
So, I KNOW we should not have thought this was funny, but COME ON....he's TIED UP. Our sweet loving nurse Jen insisted that he is NOT tied up and it was a partial swaddling (couldn't cover the line in his foot), but we know better. Jordan called him the mental patient baby!! HAHA we were just dying. It was for his own good, trying to make him cozy and keep him away from his tubes. I put my hand on top of him, and I could feel his little arms going crazy trying to get free...and he did! It only took about ten minutes before his little fingers were poking out under his chin. This little boy is ready to be cut loose, so I pray Monday happens for him. Jen said she even tried some tummy time since that calmed him down the other day, but she said that he just started scooting himself away. Jail breaker!!

Since all this was happening, Jen (the nurse) suggested we give him a little "bird bath" to relax/tire him out. I was really excited to help with his first bath! He deserved it anyways, it's been 13 days since he was born, and was never bathed in the first place because of intubation and stabilization, etc. Max really liked it, hehe!! He especially loved having his little back rubbed and washed. Afterward, he was really relaxed and slept well. Good thinking, Jen! Here he is all clean, cozy and sleepy afterward. I put his little blue Max beanie on his head!
Sorry the picture is a bit dark, but the NICU is very low-lit and quiet at night. Isn't he sweet?

So, little Maximus is doing just AWESOME, and I am so grateful. Jordan and I pray over that baby so much I'm surprised he's not physically glowing by now! ;) God has been so faithful to us.

I hope that he has a calm day today; gives himself a break. Marlene (day nurse) told me he's on his tummy this morning as is happy thus far. I'm gonna sleep for an hour here, pump, and go see him!

Oh darn, one more thing! Dr. Stevens checked me out this morning, and said it will be another day or two of antibiotics...so I'm not going anywhere soon. But I'm fine! :)

Miss everybody!
Claire

8 comments:

Unknown August 23, 2009 at 7:47 AM  

He's doing so well!! Hope things go as planned for tomorrow.. I'm down in level 2 today so maybe I'll see you walking the halls :)

Anonymous August 23, 2009 at 1:19 PM  

We have been following little Max through your blog, and are so delighted to hear he is doing well. Love the pictures and know that he has got many Angels watching over him. Know you guys and your little guy are in our thoughts.

Truly, your AZ followers
Carla

Helen August 23, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

Wow!!! Jailbreaker, huh? This little guy is mighty good at getting his point across. Can't you just imagine how good he felt after the "bird bath"? I love the swaddling idea, however, the best laid plans of NICU nurses and parents can be quickly be way-laid by these little ones. This one in particular :-)
Sorry you are stuck in the hospital, but you are getting rest and that is good.
I am keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. I will be so excited to open the blog tomorrow night to see how it all worked out. You are all thought of, prayed for, and even talked about several times a day.

Moore Family August 23, 2009 at 3:28 PM  

Glad your seeing the funny sides of things. Its really healthy. I dont blame him for what those tubes out. Hopefully, Monday (now in Australia) is the day! Yay! He's doing so well!

Ingrid Moore Canberra Australia

martha August 23, 2009 at 7:22 PM  

So glad to hear that all is going so well for Max!! and I'm glad ya'll got to do his first bath....what a neat day!! Pray all goes well for tomorrow!!

Anonymous August 24, 2009 at 8:38 AM  

I've been following little Max as well and I'm so happy for you all. I've kept you all in our prayers at Church and can't wait to see him in person.

Love you all,
Deanna Bone

Anonymous August 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

So so happy to see Max is alert and active! Hope you're doing better soon too, Claire.

Dai

Jay Thompson August 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM  

Max is a *stud*! We're pulling for the little guy. Best to you too Claire & Jordan

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP