STRONG (adj): Healthy, Powerful!

>> Monday, August 31, 2009

Synonym: able, able-bodied, active, athletic, big, capable, MAXIMUS EVAN, durable, enduring, energetic, firm, fixed, hard-as-nails, hardy, heavy duty, in fine feather, mighty, muscular, secure!!! JUST to name a few!!

Max is keeping it up. Today, he graduated "down" to the traditional ventilator, getting him off of the oscillating ventilator. Now his lungs are doing an open/close motion, rather than staying expanded and just exchanging the air. This is super great, because it's been shown that too much time on the oscillating vent can do some damage to the lungs, and we SURE don't need more of that.

Max has been on a drip of Lasix for a day and a half now, and he looks SOO much better again! I know that when he's swollen up it's not a sign of inward unrest, but when he looks bad, I feel terrible! He just looks more unhappy or uncomfortable. So when he deflates, I'm happy! Jordan took some really cute pictures of the new and improved Max from his Blackberry today...enjoy!
I just LOVE this one above...he's been sleepin' a lot the past few days. He's working hard you know! Still has socks on those hands...and a towel by his face in between him and the breathing tube...two blocking methods and he still tries to get to it. Stinker. I love when he "deflates" because I think Max has the cutest nose ever, it's a little button. (I think it looks just like his Aunt Jill...) This next picture below is from today also; you can tell he's still a bit puffy, it's obvious when you look at his eyes!
Today the nurse moved Max's head to the other side, and he really fought that. You can see above he's sort of cocked to the right still, because he spent an entire week in the exact same position! UGH I felt for him, but the ECMO can be too touchy to move the babies on it. He's doing better, so they're starting to rotate him around again. Poor guy has a sore neck I think.

Dr. Kays and Dr. Dickie (the surgeon doing her fellowship for ped's under Dr. Kays- we looove her, she's kinda his eyes and ears, and is knowledgeable and fantastic) came by today, and Dr. Kays said he's really happy with the way everything is going with Maximus so far. He has not had any setbacks ever since his "event"! No specific news really, but Max is holding strong, making steps forward, and getting stronger every day.

Max has been really alert lately (well, he's either zonked out or wide awake!) so I felt badly that he didn't have anything to look at! The nurse and I had an arts and crafts moment, and used the IV bag tags to make a little "mobile" or banner for him to look at! i think he liked it. Also! This picture is a great comparison. This is two days ago; look how HUGE his noggin is. Round like a basketball! :)

After a day with Max's ghetto mobile, we mentioned to the nurse we were going to go get him a proper one. She disappeared and came back with this!
The nurse Jen said that people donated toys all the time, and this was back there! You should have SEEN Max. His eyes bugged out! He was so into watching the planes float around. How cute! It made me regret not doing it sooner, but he's just become more interactive in his 3rd week.

Our little Max man is doing well, thank you for praying for him!!! We will keep ya'll updated!
Love,
Claire

PS, I'm pretty much 100% better as far as that lovely infection side show goes. I saw an MDLC, "Lacatation doctor" if you will, and we don't have much to do about this situation! I'm taking some really strong herbal supplements that help a bit...but this is pretty much "it". I'm not quitting until Max can try to feed, but please don't hold me to that in case I have a total meltdown over it! :)

Also, we got FREE tickets to a Gators game for Saturday night!! woo-hoo!
(BYE!)

22 comments:

Mary Jane August 31, 2009 at 8:44 PM  

I'm so glad Max can look at those planes! Enjoyed seeing his sweet eyes!

Aunt Beth August 31, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

Amazing, you guys. Jesus is SO all over this!

Ann Mortenson August 31, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

I gotta get my Max fix...keep those posts coming! Those eyes melt my butta man! I'm glad he is on the up and up. Hey, just wanted to give you the top 5 highlights to having a NICU baby (after a few myself I've compiled a list :))
5. Chances are you've maxed (no pun intended)out your insurance deductible so if anyone else in the fam needs some work done...it's free!
4. When the day comes where you exit the emotional roller coaster (I swear it WILL come) you will feel so refreshed.
3. You get WAY better gifts than people with healthy babies...it's been proven!
2. Any extra pounds you may have gained throughout the pregnancy (this goes for both of you) will totally melt away within the first 3 weeks of your NICU experience.
1. This one I don't intend to be at all sarcastic on...this is probably the biggest trial for you to date, giving you the opportunity to have the most faithful, humble, relationship with God that will forever change your life...for the better!
Keep on keepin' you guys rock!
PS On a much more trivial note...Claire my hair is missing you sister...I see Christina Fri. :)

Misty August 31, 2009 at 9:38 PM  

Oh my, I almost passed out from the massive cuteness! HE IS ADORABLE! I can't believe he's three weeks old...he'd probably just now be being born if you hadn't been induced. His mobile makes me think of giving Harrison one at the same age, he loved it too, so much so that he seemed like he was in a trance watching it, we called it his "trippy bears".

Bold Family August 31, 2009 at 10:21 PM  

Love the updates, thank you.

We are lifting you all up in our prayers. ; )

Brandi Vidales August 31, 2009 at 10:40 PM  

Max looks great! What a fighter he is!! He is absolutely adorable!!

Sue mom to Emily LCDH 1-22-08 September 1, 2009 at 5:10 AM  

Lasix sure works wonders. Max looks great, so much less puffy. I like the make shift mobile, what a great idea, although the planes are good too. Keep up the good work, Max!

cp:Emilyishere

Jennifer Tenney September 1, 2009 at 6:05 AM  

Yay! What a strong little boy!!! I love your top 5 list Ann!!! So true-each one! I'll add one- When I was there I tried to tell myself that the nurses were like nannies and wasn't I lucky to have such good help with my baby? =) I love the mobile. Once little Max gets in a crib looking bed, ask for a toy that looks like an aquarium or a jungle- they have those back there too and Dakota just adored it. Her whole face lit up when they put it in her crib.

Unknown September 1, 2009 at 6:14 AM  

Glad Max is hanging in there.. and yay for tickets to the game, we'll look for you out there!

Rebecca September 1, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

Great News!!

mikeo75 September 1, 2009 at 7:06 AM  

Such great news and awesome pictures! So glad he's doing better.

Rachel Shears September 1, 2009 at 7:30 AM  

I'm so glad to hear that Max is improving!! Still praying fervently for him and you! God please continue to have your healing hand upon this family, upon your little warrior Max. Let his life be a testimony to you mercy, love, power and grace. Lord let him have a looong and prosperous life for you. In your name, I beseech thee Jesus, Amen! just a side note: There's an herbal tea I used to drink when I was breastfeeding that really helped up the lactation, called Mother's Milk by Traditional Medicinals. It's caffeine free and you can get it at any health food store and even Publix carries it. Works great! Many prayers and blessings to you and yours!

ANewKindOfPerfect September 1, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

I am so relieved to read that Max is doing better. I had to laugh at the ghetto mobile made out of IV bag tags! :)

Christmas with Kasey September 1, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

Glad that Max is "deflating" I'm sure he loved the ghetto mobile. but possibly he is more into airplanes :) Keep kicking butt Max!!

M. North September 1, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

Claire - "no melt downs".... the only important thing is getting Max healthy enough to come home.
Max is so cute - it's amazing that he's still interested enough to watch the mobil when he's all trussed up.

You guys missed a spectacular storm in the East Valley last night-get well and come home soon.

Melissa

Vince and Patty September 1, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

Claire, As a NICU mom who had my fair share of meltdowns over pumping and breastmilk and breastfeeding - I have to say, don't let it get to you! There is absolutely nothing about breastfeeding under these circumstances that is natural and Max is going to benefit greatly no matter how long you force yourself to stick with it.

After two months of pumping I was finally able to try breastfeeding Charlie and he never took to it. I gave up because it would just end with both of us in tears and it just wasn't worth the effort anymore.

You are doing all you can - don't feel guilty about it not working out the way it "should" because that is what I did and it brought on more stress that I didn't need! You are doing great and I love to see the progress your little man is making! We are rooting him on up here in Syracuse!

:-) Patty

martha September 1, 2009 at 10:36 AM  

So glad to hear all the news on Max!! and it's so much better to hear 'good' news!! :) That's so neat that they had a mobile for him there in the NICU....I was about to run out and get him one!! :) Go Gators!! Have fun at the game!!

Denise September 1, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

I bet Max would *really* dig this Gators mobile. It plays the fight song and everything! Kyle really wanted Brady to have one when he was born, but he had to settle for a Gators car seat.

I am glad to see that Max is looking so good. He is a cutie!

Michael and Elizabeth Reeve September 1, 2009 at 12:23 PM  

Max...what a star! He's looking sooo much better & you're right...precious nose!!

We're praying for you guys and baby James is sending Max baby cuddles.

Lots of Love

Mike, Beth & Baby James

Craig and Kristi Kuehl September 1, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

I so needed this update. I have been keeping you all and Max in my constant thoughts and prayers! We know he can beat this! You guys are doing so great....Keep us posted!

Anonymous September 1, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

Love the 2nd picture of Max opening his eyes... He is adorable... wanna kiss him all over! Keep it up, Lil' Max!!!

Dai

Reminiscing September 1, 2009 at 3:41 PM  

I'm so happy Max is doing so well! :) He looks great. Stay strong and keep up the fight Max!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP