Cutie Pie Update!

>> Saturday, August 22, 2009

EEK! My son is so stinking cute!! I get such a kick out of understanding what moms are always talking about now. How much you love them, and how they are "so much cuter" than any other living being!! Well, now I get it, and he IS the cutest thing on earth! :) Ok ok I digress...here's Max tired and happy...


Tonight Jordan went to dinner with some staff we made friends with in the NICU3, so I went and spent some extra time with Max before dinner! I was getting really upset inside (I don't like to show it and feel like I'm the cooky emotional mom they have to deal with) because Max was just so upset! For those of you who haven't see it before, an intubated baby trying to cry is just about the most pathetic sad thing to watch. His little face gets all twisted and he turns all shades of red, then his mouth just gapes open silently. UUUHhhh can't I take it for him?? I changed his diaper, and wiped his lips, but he wouldn't cheer up! His nurse came over to help him out because I finally said, "Oh it's killing me that he looks so uncomfortable!". (Don't get me wrong, she's taking wonderful care of him...they're just more used to crying babies than me!) So she turned him onto his other side towards the window, sucked out his nose and mouth, and turned his head. He calmed way down! :)

He is totally off of any sedatives now, it's all worked out of his system. The only thing about this is that now he's a little too excited, and tries to pull tubes out of his mouth. It's partly because he just likes sucking on his hand (mom was a thumb sucker!), so he wraps his fingers around it in the process...then gets sneaky about tugging. Little booger. ;) Our nurse put little baby socks on his hands to keep him at bay, and he really doesn't seem to mind it. We have some of those mittens for scratching at the RonMcDon house, but there not doing much good there! Socks will do til we get them over here.

Max's Co2 gas went down from 68 to 55 today, and his oxygen went up! Good improvement, he got used to all that weaning they did over the last few days. I was really glad they just let him have a day off, I want him to be ready for extubation on Monday if possible. Now he's at 20 breaths per min, and I believe they extubate at 13 or 14 (Jordan would know!). So that's very very doable tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed! If he gets extubated Monday, it would only be a day or two before I get to HOLD HIM. EEEKKKK!! I'm going to DIE. :)

He has a feeding tube down his nose now that goes past his tummy into the top of his intestine. Skipping the tummy for now helps him keep the milk in. He get 1mL of breast milk/hour and the rest is the same solution he's been getting that's just a lipids and nutrients mix. No spit up or vomit from it yet, and that's a good thing!

After he's off breathing tubes, feeding is the last step. He shouldn't have too much drug rehab since he's been off everything for a few days already, so it's just all about eating. Feeding tube through the nose for a bit, then a bottle, all so that they can measure what he's taking in. Then we can give breastfeeding a spin...puh-leez let that be the key to my body kicking into high gear. (Milk production-wise, I mean.)

Ok! I think that's the Maximus Evan update for now...hm...gave you his numbers, projected plan...cute thing for the day, picture...yep got it all down!

I'm still here in the hospital, tomorrow will be day four! (but day 1 started at 10pm, so more like three) I love being down the hall from Max, but I'm getting a little tired of being here. I've had five bags of antibiotics, and I think it's working. The redness has receded, but I'm still pretty swollen. Anyways I have a 6th bag at midnight, and then a doctor is checking me in the morning I think. I guess then I'll know when I can leave. I just want to make sure this is going AWAY. ugh. Something about hospitals makes a girl instantly feel FRUMPY! :) (AND that I need to lose 15 pounds!!) I lose all motivation to dress, or "do myself up". It's all about a shower and sweats.

I'd lastly just love to say how much I adore Jordan. He is absolutely the best (adult) thing that has ever happened to me. (Max is the best baby thing!) He is such an adorably loving, and strong Daddy. He is so sweet to Max, and so ready to help me in any way I need. I couldn't be more grateful for him. Do you know, the other night we went to dinner with Jordan's parents and Grandma. I was super stressed because the timing was going to push my pumping back like two hours. That's bad because since I'm having trouble pumping, being regular about it is important. An awesome friend of mine gave me a Medela pump that's small and travels well, so I brought it to just pump in the ladies room (I know, I know...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do). There was no plug, so I came back. Jordan saw that it upset me (I try to cover it!), so he left the table and ran across the big street to buy me batteries for the pump. What a romantic hero! :) He relieved all my stress. How lucky am I?!

Yowza this entry turned into a major ramble...I must be bored tonight! Well now you know all the things going on with Max, Jordan, and I! :) LOVE YOU MISS YOU!!!

Love,
Claire

ahhh YAY Jordan just got back!!!!

4 comments:

Helen August 22, 2009 at 7:20 PM  

I was so pleasantly surprised when I clicked on the blog and saw a new entry. You sound so much more like yourself, I am just thrilled. Your blog tonight was like we were just chatting while you were working on me. I can't be happier about Max. I just have become enamored by this little guy. I am thrilled about his progress, and I think it just goes to show what a strong thing faith is. You guys keep taking care of yourselves. Can't wait to hear more. Max gets cuter in each picture.

The Arizona Ray's August 22, 2009 at 9:08 PM  

yay Claire!! Oh I so hope you get to hold him on Monday!!!! I wish I ws there to see your face, you think you know what love is now but just wait!!!!!! I'm so glad to hear you are getting better too! Keep resting!!!

Melissa August 22, 2009 at 9:19 PM  

Claire "Welcome to motherhood". That feeling of desperatly wanting to FIX things for your dearest son Max will never leave you - even when he's 17:). I'm thrilled to hear that Our little Max is improving daily. I can't wait to open your blog and see a photo of you and Jordan holding Max. So sorry to hear that you are not 100%Take care of yourself...
Melissa

Chanda August 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM  

I am so enjoying reading your post. We're there with you on so much of what you write about. Our prayers are with your family and I have to say that I love the picture of your Maximus!!! He is a cutie for sure!!! ...Ireland sends him wel wishes too! ....Chanda

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP