Day Two!

>> Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Well, we had another good day today with Mr. Max. He is showing all signs that everything is going in the right direction. The thing that we need to remind ourselves is that a lot of these CDH babies have what the nurses and doctors call a "honeymoon" phase. They start off doing really well, but then can crash later on.

We are just praying that this will not be the case for our little man as the days continue to roll on by. I am back in the Ronald McDonald House tonight and miss my wife and son.

Today started off with Claire telling me that she got a good nights sleep (finally)!!! It seems like every time she starts to get really ready to sleep, another knock on her door, another doctor, another check up, or SOMETHING is waking her up. She is a rockstar though and I couldn't be more proud of her. The nurses told her that she was the easiest patient on the floor and was recovering very quickly. She already has all her IVs and everything out and was up and walking around today. She walked down to the NICU this morning with me to say good morning to max and I was able to get a good shot of the two of them:


Max was fast asleep at the time, and was just hanging out and doing well. I really like to look at all the monitors and numbers and try to figure things out and see how he is doing. I think that is just how my brain works, and I have seen some cool trends. His CO2 levels and oxygen levels are still really low and Dr. Kays lowered his breaths per minute from 34 to 30 and oxygen from 60% to 50%. Obviously we don't want to have a ventilator at all but that is getting down there. Room oxygen is about 21% so we are getting down to that area as well. Max is seriously doing GREAT.

This afternoon I went back into the NICU to visit and it looked like Max had decided to see who had come to visit him!

He had opened one of his little eyes and was looking around the room at everything! This was the first time that I had seen him awake and was blown away! As cool as everything has already been and all the love I have for him already went up like 3804823408563954982923%. Being able to see my little guy moving around and looking at things was HUGE. But then....


I didn't pose this picture. I was sitting there and just talking to him and he looked at me, reached up and grabbed my finger. I really almost lost it. I don't know if it was just reaction or what, but I really felt like he was just letting me know that he was going to be ok and wanted to just pray with me for a bit...so we did.

As far as surgery is looking...Dr. Kays and his team are looking at doing Max's repair surgery on Thursday sometime. He may be able to do a type of surgery that doesn't require him to do the full on incision and just make a few small cuts. This would speed up recovery time (hopefully) and allow us to bring our little dude home!! We couldn't be more excited.

JUDE UPDATE: In some of our last postings you may have read about the friend we have made here that has the CDH baby as well. He was delivered yesterday as well and is in the NICU bay right next to Max. They were able to do the repair surgery on him today, and our friends said that it went better than the doctors could have hoped! They thought that he would only have about 10% of a diaphragm when they went in there but found out that there was about 50% of one! This is dramatically increased his chances of beating this with Max and getting to go home. It also lowered his chances of having to go on ECMO (heart and lung bypass).

That is really all for now. It is about 11pm here and I am going to bed so I can get back to the hospital tomorrow and hang out with Claire and Max. Thanks again for all of your support and notes. It means more than we can say! Night!

22 comments:

Anonymous August 11, 2009 at 8:02 PM  

Great news! Max is absolutely adorable!!! We are keeping him in our prayers!

Christian Salafia August 11, 2009 at 8:06 PM  

Maximus is such a stud!

We are all so happy for you guys! Can't wait for you to get back!

all our love

The Salafias

Unknown August 11, 2009 at 8:08 PM  

awe made my eyes a lil watery ... glad things are going well

Melissa N. August 11, 2009 at 8:12 PM  

Thrilled to hear the great news. And the photos - he's the cutest little guy! His color is great and he's got 1 little eye open! Wow! Can't wait to see him when he gets back to Arizona!

Tiffany August 11, 2009 at 8:15 PM  

Isn't having a child such an awesome experience?!
I love the pic of him holding Jordan's finger...reaching for his daddy! :)
You guys have handled all this so well...keep trusting God...He is good! :)

Sue mom to Emily LCDH 1-22-08 August 11, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

Fabulous news..keep up the good work Max. You are adorable!

Liz and Shane August 11, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

Maximus is a Warrior! I am praying he continues to get stronger.
http://nayelinelson.blogspot.com/

Kim Dodridge August 11, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

Such great news! I have been waiting for a good update. You three (and the whole fam) have not left my thoughts or prayers. Max is such a precious little gift from above and I have faith that he will continue to fight so that he can go home very soon with his mommy and daddy. I know there are at least 2 little girls waiting to meet their new cousin and I will pray pray pray that they won't have to wait too long!! Stay strong and lean on each other, but more importantly, continue to allow our precious Savior to be your strength and remember that His strength is sufficient to get you through each day! I especially love the picture where Max reached out for your finger and you prayed together. Isn't God awesome?! He wanted to talk to a father and his son... His children! Can't wait to hear the next update. Kim

Helen August 11, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

What can I say? I read your last posting with tears streaming down my face. What a "big" little guy Max is! That one eye open picture is so cute, but the one with his finger around Jordan's is awesome. Like Kim said, isn't God wonderful? Our "father" to Max's father, just a little one on one. What could be better. Keep strong. Looking forward to the next update.

Jaime's World August 11, 2009 at 9:32 PM  

Love the pics! Welcome to the world, little Maximus! We spoke to Dr. Kays in Feb. about taking care of our little one, he's such a great guy! (We chose Cincinnati, as it was closer and dealt with hemophiliacs).
Best wishes for fabulous days ahead...including a successful surgery Thursday! We know that Max is in GREAT hands!
Love and prayers,
Sheryl

The Actis Family August 11, 2009 at 10:17 PM  

We are hopeful after reading all your good news!
Praying for you ALL, and sending strength and love.

I think he's even a little more handsome today than yesterday! :-)

-The Actis Family

Anonymous August 11, 2009 at 10:18 PM  

Thanks so much Jordan for keeping all of us posted. Kudos to Claire for up and walking the day after C-section. I LOVE the picture of Max reaching out to hold his daddy's finger...touches my heart. Keep it up little man! All of you are in my prayers.

Love,
dai

Mary Jane August 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM  

Oh my God! He is precious and tears are rolling down my face as I read and look at that sweet baby holding your finger. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. You guys are awesome. Mary Jane

Burt and Christy Michel August 11, 2009 at 11:41 PM  

Congrats !! So happy that Max is doing great. These CDH kiddos are amazing fighters !! Keep up the great work Max :)

martha August 12, 2009 at 4:23 AM  

What beautiful pixs....esp. the one of Max holding your finger!!! :)
PRIECELESS!! I hope to drop by late this afternoon and have a short visit with Claire. take care, martha

Kathryn Olmstead August 12, 2009 at 4:39 AM  

I am so glad Max is doing so well!! And it brings tears to my eyes that you are so loving towards your new family. Max will surely be loved! I am also happy for your CDH friends-

we are praying for your family and theirs! Good luck and keep the updates coming!

So glad to also hear Claire is doing well! :)

Rebecca August 12, 2009 at 5:52 AM  

Amazing..I'm so happy/excited for you and your new family!

Anonymous August 12, 2009 at 7:08 AM  

I've been following your blog for a month or so now (got the link from another CDH blog) and have been especially interested in Max because he was scheduled to be delivered on my birthday! I've prayed and checked on you and your family daily and am SO pleased that everything is going great! Your son is precious! Prayers and good wishes will continue from Texas!
Thelma

Unknown August 12, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

That's great Jordan, it's amazing how quickly we fall in love. You'll never forget that moment.

mikeo75 August 12, 2009 at 9:18 AM  

Teary eyes over here...beautiful picture of Max holding your finger.

Praying for you three!

Suzanne August 12, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

praying!
Praise God for the gift of seeing him open that little eye and holding your finger.
Ps 36:5-6 God's love is meteoric, his loyalty astronomic. His purpose titanic, his verdicts oceanic. Yet in his largeness nothing gets lost; Not a man, not a mouse (not a little Max), slips through the cracks. (The Message)

Stephanie August 12, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

What a gift he is!!! I too remember Kamryn opening her eyes and looking around at her surroundings. And when she would grab my fingers and squeeze really tight, it just melted my heart every time. I didn't care if it was a reflex or not. We were bonding, and that's all that mattered. Shawn and I are praying so hard for y'all. Keep up the good work Max! You rock!

Stephanie

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP