Um...WOW. What a day!!!

>> Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ok. Well, where do we start? My parents flew into Florida last night, and got into Gainesville around midnight. They got to their hotel ok, and went to bed.

At about 8:30 this morning, Claire and I went over to say good morning and have breakfast with them. We had called to check on Max but the nurse was busy and couldn't give us an update on what had happened overnight, so we didn't have anything new to share with them. It was SO good to see my mom and dad. I have not seen them in over 2 weeks and it is a welcome treat to have them here! We finished breakfast and headed over to the hospital.

Before I go into what happened from there, let me just say that this is my parents first grandbaby and we were actually nervous/REALLY excited for them to meet him. As we rode the elevator up to the NICU my mom was literally shaking, she was so excited.

The NICU usually only allows for 2 people to be at bedside at a time, but Claire went into smooth talker mode (usually my job), and they let al 4 of us go back. Claire got in first and as my parents and I were scrubbing in, she came running back and told me...are you ready for this? "Jordan! They said that they are going to extubate Max in 4 days!!!" Are you kidding me?!?! Our little man has seriously been kicking some CDH booty, but this was way more than we were expecting!!!

He was doing so well that Dr. Kays had moved his ventilator settings from 75 breaths per minute down to 40 and lowered the oxygen level as much as he would ever go. They lowered the pressed on the vent too to allow Max to start pushing and breathing more on his own! As he was telling us what he was going to do, Claire just hugged him mid sentence and said "I just love you SO much!" So here is the plan...

Over the next few days, they are going to be pulling blood every 8 hours to make sure that he is getting enough oxygen and getting rid of enough CO2. If the numbers are good, they will lower his vent every day until they remove it completely! This could mean that Claire and I could hold Max for the first time this weekend, possibly! His numbers tonight were really good, so keep praying! If all goes well, we may be able to start heading home in a few weeks!!!!

This has been such a HUGE blessing for us as we were prepared to stay here through October! We are just SO thankful for all of your prayers and support. We are 100% convinced that Max is doing so well because all of you (and mostly God). I will update more on the shenanigans that my family and I caused today at Lake Alice and around Gainsville tomorrow or so. I am just to thrilled by all of this news that I don't want to spoil it. Max is a rockstar. We love you all and as promised, here are some pictures from today:





17 comments:

The Roberts Family August 18, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

he is just so sweet!!! im so happy for you guys!! im glad he is kicking some CDH booty :) keep it up!!!

Devin August 18, 2009 at 8:35 PM  

Hey he's gotten so much more hair! I'm so glad your ma and pa are there!

Misty August 18, 2009 at 8:45 PM  

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Helen August 18, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

YIPEE!!!! YAHOO!!! YEAH!!!! I am so excited. I remember seeing my 1st grand baby so I know just how your mom felt, Jordan. Claire, both you and Jordan look so much more rested. I am so happy. I gotta tell you that little guy has stolen my heart. He is pretty dog-gone special. I agree with you about why Maxy is doing so well. The "little guy" has the "big guy" watching out for him. Please keep posting. It's like I need my Max fix every day.

The Arizona Ray's August 18, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

yay!!!!! I am so happy for you guys!! The power of prayer is truly amazing!!!! We are coming to florida at the end of september so i was planning on coming to see you but hopefully I will be able to, long before that, here in the desert!!!!

Kim Dodridge August 18, 2009 at 8:58 PM  

What incredible news! I'm so happy to hear how well he is doing. Max is a miracle baby and God has BIG plans for him and his family! I can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

Anonymous August 18, 2009 at 9:06 PM  

Awesome news you guys! I am super excited right now...don't know why I am crying...I guess tears of joy. Grandparents are the best! Gotta love Dr. Kay. Can't wait to see your next update!

dai

Anonymous August 18, 2009 at 9:35 PM  

Keep kicking some CDH booty Max! You are rocking and rolling through this roller coaster ride. Praying you continue to be a CDH superstar! What a man! So proud of you!

Love the family picture too!

Vince and Patty August 19, 2009 at 4:48 AM  

He is just so perfect! Here's hoping the good news keep flowing. Lot's of love and prayers coming your way from Syracuse!

Andrea Larson August 19, 2009 at 6:04 AM  

WOW.. I'm so thrilled to hear how well Max is doing. I know I can speak for so many of us when I say we love all of your updates. I've been following your family journey and I'm so happy for all of you! I'm sending more prayers your way for a speedy recovery for Max! GO MAXIMUS!!!!

Rebecca August 19, 2009 at 7:00 AM  

Such Exciting News!! Seriously gave me chill bumps just reading it! It's so nice to have family around for that moment. Can't wait to see your little man.

Sarah Lewallen August 19, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

I couldn't be happier for you all if I tried! What an amazing blessing and awesome journey you are all on!

dan and ashley August 19, 2009 at 9:51 AM  

aw claire- its so good to hear your little mans progressing so fast! mary jane gave me your website to keep updated! good luck & give that little max a kiss!
~ashley {room #5 @ salon boutique!}

Christmas with Kasey August 19, 2009 at 11:00 AM  

Yeah Max!!

Melissa N. August 19, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

Congrats Big Max! You are one tough kiddo. Claire and Jordan thank you for sharing the good news. It sounds like you all will be back in AZ sooner than you thought/planned.... my advice, hang out in Florida until our hellish weather ends. Thrilled you have the support of grandma and grandpa. Keep the good news coming.

Melissa

Laurie August 19, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

That is amazing! Way to go, Max! Keeping you all in our prayers.

martha August 19, 2009 at 7:15 PM  

WOW....what wonderful news!!! He looks like he's gaining weight, too!! I'm so glad your parents are here, Jordan...enjoy the time!! I feel like I've 'fell off the NICU radar'....but, actually, school preplanning started on Monday and then on Tuesday I got a stomach virus...so, you won't be seeing me for awhile!! What exciting news to go to sleep on!

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP